Profile Picture

STARTTLS on IMAIL Server 12.5

Posted By tsi Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello,

can someone explain me, how to get STARTTLS configured on the IMAIL Server? What is the requierements for me, to do this.
Any Help would be very welcome!

Thank you
Jens
Mike Barber
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Time Traveler

Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
If you search the help for starttls you should see a few topics on where to enable it for SMTP, POP3, and IMAP. Don't for get to restart the services.

Mike Barber
Senior Software Developer
Ipswitch, Inc
tsi
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)Junior Member (19 reputation)

Hi and Thank your for Help. Sorry for ask but i cannot found any tutorial there. Only a lot of Errors with older Version. Im totally a newbie in that. Maybe you could paste me a link to the entry?

Thanks again!

regards
Jens
Mike Barber
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Time Traveler

Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)Time Traveler (649 reputation)

What version do you have?

Mike Barber
Ipswitch, Inc
tsi
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

12.5 like my Topic Name :-)
Mike Barber
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Time Traveler

Sorry, your "Older Version" comment threw me off, I was expecting you to reply saying you were running 8.22 or something like that.

Open the IMail Administration Console
On the left there is an icon for Services (5th down)
Double click on IMail SMTP Service in the list of services
In the middle of the panel on the right there is a grouping called General Options, in that grouping will be Enable SSL and Enable TLS, check these options
If you select POP3 in the list on the left the panel on the right will change and again you should see options for Enabling TLS and SSL
Repeat again after selecting IMAP on the left
Click OK

Restart SMTP, IMAP and POP3

Mike Barber
Ipswitch, Inc
tsi
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Oh ok. I did that for the smtp and outgoing queues. But the other company said we need to have a certificate. I dont know where to install. Must i install it on IIS or in Mail Server and how. If i test my mail server there always apear a self signed Ipswitch Certificate.

Thank you! 
Mike Barber
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Time Traveler

Open the IMail Console Admin and click Help in the bottom left corner
Click on the Index tab and paste this in the keyword box at the top

Self-Signed SSL Certificate(sslutility.exe)

You should find a topic with the same name and instructions on how to generate a certificate request

IMail 12.5.1 and later have a newer utility that allows for creating certificates with key sizes greater that 1024 and algorithms other than MD5. I'd suggest you use it instead of the older SSLConfiguration Utility.
You'll find it in the Start menu listed as "SSL Configuration Utility (Beta)".

The instructions in the help should apply to the newer ssl utility, just be sure to select Certificate Request File when creating the certificate.

Mike Barber
Ipswitch, Inc