Profile Picture

Blocking entire countries by domain and/or IPs

Posted By agodev Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Forum Member

Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

I would like to setup my IMail server to block entire countries other than the U.S. I can see that there are two ways to block incoming message, the Control Access for IPs and The Kill File for addresses.  I have added "*.ru" as an entry in the kill file but it has no effect.

Also, how can the system be setup to reject any messages coming from an array of IPs?  So for instance there is a constant attack hitting my server daily from "80.82.78.188" or "80.82.78.170" etc.  How can I reject 80.*?

But if I could I would like to reject anything from any other country but the U.S.

Thanks!
Reid

Mike Barber
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Time Traveler

Time Traveler (648 reputation)Time Traveler (648 reputation)Time Traveler (648 reputation)Time Traveler (648 reputation)Time Traveler (648 reputation)Time Traveler (648 reputation)Time Traveler (648 reputation)Time Traveler (648 reputation)Time Traveler (648 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Open the IMail Administrator Console and navigate to Services > IMail SMTP Service. Click Configure Services. At the bottom of the dialog there is a button for Control Access.

To block 80.x.x.x click New Address and enter 80.0.0.0 for the Address and 255.0.0.0 for the SubnetMask. Click OK and then OK again and restart SMTP.

You will need to repeat these steps for any additional networks you wish to block. I suggest you search for Subnet Calculators online for help blocking other network ranges other than a "Class A" network.

Mike Barber
Senior Software Developer
Ipswitch, Inc
agodev
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Forum Member

Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)Forum Member (28 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Thank you for your answer.

Best wishes,
Reid