Profile Picture

Accessing Ipswitch Attachments

Posted By CMT-Scott 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
We have been using Ipswitch for almost 2 years now and we really love it.  There are a few features we would love to see implemented, but I'll post those in another topic. 

Lately our users have been experiencing an issue opening documents that have been attached to an ipswitch message.  Sometimes the docs open, sometimes there is an error saying not found.  The work around has been to right click the file and save it to their desktop, then the file opens properly. 

I'm thinking maybe there is some folder that needs to be cleaned up etc that may be causing this.  We keep between 4-6 months of messages.  Any idea what is "sometimes" preventing a document from opening by simply double clicking it?

Note:  Many of these messages are sent to 30 - 40 people.  Another thought I had was maybe the first person to open it locks the file and causes that error to pop up for each user after.  Possible?

Mike Barber
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Time Traveler

Time Traveler (669 reputation)Time Traveler (669 reputation)Time Traveler (669 reputation)Time Traveler (669 reputation)Time Traveler (669 reputation)Time Traveler (669 reputation)Time Traveler (669 reputation)Time Traveler (669 reputation)Time Traveler (669 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 Months Ago
IM Client creates a folder in the Windows Users Temp Directory, accessible by entering %temp% in the Start -> Run window. When a user double clicks on an attachment in the conversation window it downloads the file to this temporary folder and then launches it. The name of the folder created is random and changes every time the IM Client is launched Ex: "C:\DOCUME~1\mbarber\LOCALS~1\Temp\TMP_8F011DCC3D42C8489B3CF3D6C33C086E"

If this folder is deleted while the IM Client is running it will be unable to download files and launch them, I believe this is what is causing the issue you are seeing.

I suspect some process or the users themselves are clearing out the temp directory.

Mike Barber
Senior Software Developer
Ipswitch, Inc