Profile Picture

Imail Client Apps won't install workgroup share to users without admin rights

Posted By edwimb 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Imail Client Apps won't install workgroup share to users without admin...

Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Newbie

Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hello,

Server - Windows Server 2008 x64 SP2

Clients - Windows 7 x86 SP1 on a Dell Optiplex 380

Imail version - 11.5 SP1

Imail Client Apps x86.exe version - 11.50.118

Office version - Office 2003 SP3

- Users don't have admin rights

- UAC in Windows 7 enabled

We are attempting to install Imail Client Apps x86.exe to all of our users. We can't deploy it due to another issue with your software I won't discuss here, so we are forced to walk around and install it manually.

If I run the .exe on a users machine, the program runs and finishes. Ipswitch IM is installed but Workgroup Share is skipped. This can be seen by the "Share" option under tools in Outlook not appearing. Our users do not have admin rights. If I run the installation on a machine that has admin rights, the "Share" option under tools appears in Outlook. We tried disabling UAC, same issue. We tried logging on as a local administrator on the machine and running the program, same issue. We tried running the .exe as administrator, same issue. Giving the users admin rights is not an option.

How can I install Workgroup Share on a users machine?
Edited
8 Years Ago by edwimb
Mike R.
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Time Traveler

Time Traveler (1.7K reputation)Time Traveler (1.7K reputation)Time Traveler (1.7K reputation)Time Traveler (1.7K reputation)Time Traveler (1.7K reputation)Time Traveler (1.7K reputation)Time Traveler (1.7K reputation)Time Traveler (1.7K reputation)Time Traveler (1.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
can you see if you can manually register the redemption.dll in the client install dir?

Mike R.
Ipswitch IMail
http://support.ipswitch.com
Visit and see our new knowledgebase!
edwimb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Newbie

Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

I logged onto the machine as the user, right clicked on the command prompt shortcut and selected run as administrator. I was prompted for an administrator username and password. I typed it in and pressed enter.

I typed in the command regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Ipswitch\IMail Client Apps\Collaboration\redemption.dll" in the command prompt and pressed enter. I got a dialog box saying DllRegisterServer in C:\Program Files\Ipswitch\IMail Client Apps\Collaboration\redemption.dll succeeded.

I closed and reopened Outlook, no share option. I rebooted the machine, no share option. I reinstalled Imail Client Apps, no share option.

Workgroup Share still won't install.
Tamara D
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Time Traveler

Time Traveler (138 reputation)Time Traveler (138 reputation)Time Traveler (138 reputation)Time Traveler (138 reputation)Time Traveler (138 reputation)Time Traveler (138 reputation)Time Traveler (138 reputation)Time Traveler (138 reputation)Time Traveler (138 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have seen this issue when Domain Group Policies are in place to prevent users from installing software.  It was not an issue with our WorkgroupShare prior to the MSI installer of the IMail Clinet Apps, as the Group Policies did not recognize the previous installer.

The workaround would be to use our 11.03 installer.  We are currently in the process of getting this information posted on our Knowledge Base, however for now I will email you with the install files you will need. 

Please look for my email. 

Tamara
Ipswitch Messaging Support

edwimb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Newbie

The issue occurs on an undomained machine with a clean install of Windows 7. This proves it is not related to group policy.

I haven't received an email.
BVVPOA
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Newbie

Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Let me know if you find a fix. Looks like we'll be remoting into computers as admin, making the user an admin, logging off, remoting in as the user with elevated privledges, installing the IM Client, removing admin privledges from the user, logging off...... 200x!

Just give me a simple .msi and let me include it in our group policy of software that restricted users are allowed to install themselves :} 

edwimb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Newbie

BVVPOA (6/23/2011)
Let me know if you find a fix. Looks like we'll be remoting into computers as admin, making the user an admin, logging off, remoting in as the user with elevated privledges, installing the IM Client, removing admin privledges from the user, logging off...... 200x!

Just give me a simple .msi and let meinclude itin our group policy of software that restricted users are allowed to install themselves:}

It's a little bit more complex than that. If you grant the user admin rights and run the program, it just uninstalls both the collaboration and chat programs.

I finally got it working by granting the user admin rights, copying the installer to the users desktop, right clicking on the .exe and selecting run as administrator, uninstalling all options, rebooting the machine, right click .exe and run as administrator, select all options, remove admin rights, reboot the machine. I may have had to do the uninstall step because I ran this installer previously by simply double clicking on it. If you copy it to the desktop, grant the user admin rights, and right click to select run as administrator you may be able to avoid the uninstall step.

If you open outlook after uninstalling everything, it gives you an error saying an add-on cannot be found. Good to know in case you ever want to get rid of this...

I figured this all out on my own. I never received an email from ipswitch and have not been contacted by them since I posted last month.
Tech_SG
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
If you are running Windows 7 64bit you may need to wait until the Imail Client Apps x64 is released.

Or You may try giving that user temp rights as an admin install and then take away the admin rights.

Tech_SG

Ipswitch Technical Support

http://support.ipswitch.com

Visit and see our new knowledgebase!

kb.imailserver.com

Edited
8 Years Ago by Port 25