Profile Picture

Imail Server 2006 problems - Headers and Footers not showing up on my lists

Posted By m3jim 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Imail Server 2006 problems - Headers and Footers not showing up on my...

Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago

How come the header and footer (trailer) that should be added to every List email don't always get included?  If I send to a list using my Thunderbird email program, everything works great, I get the headers and trailers.   If I send it from the IMail web interface, or if users send from AOL, gmail, or Yahoo, the headers and trailers don't show up.

What's the story?  When is this going to be fixed, or if it has already been fixed, in which version / patch was it fixed?   I'll get my hosting company to upgrade.

Thanks,

Jim

Tripp Allen
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Administrator

Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago

The list server will add to plain text emails, but not to HTML emails.  If you post from the web client, set to plain text and they will show up.

Tripp Allen
President, Messaging Products
Ipswitch, Inc.
tallen@imailserver.com

m3jim
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)Junior Member (10 reputation)

Thanks Tripp, but that is not a valid solution.   After all, it is the year 2006.   What percentage of emails are plain text? (5%, 10% ???)

How do I tell all the Yahoo, gmail, .....  users to send in plain text??? 

I'll ask again.    When will this be fixed?    This is a show stopper.  

My sites have advertisers.  They want more exposure so I want to add them to the trailer, thanking them, and having links to their web sites.  How can I promote that when only 5 or 10% of the people who receive the list will see the trailers?

Thanks

Jim

m3jim
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Actually, Imail is adding it to even HTML emails, but it's just not adding it inside the Boundary.   'Header text' and 'Footer text' are added to the email, just not in the correct location.

Jim

Status: RX-UIDL: 451451184X-IMail-ThreadID: c1020000159cdaaeHeader text--------------
Boundary-00=_5V5OIP03RWEMP7OGSL9AContent-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8Content-Transfer-Encoding: 
quoted-printabletest from web page--------------Boundary-00=_5V5OIP03RWEMP7OGSL9A--       
Footer text
m3jim
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

So Tripp,

Can I assume from your lack of a reply that Imail does not think that this is a problem, and you are saying 'screw you' to a customer?  I guess it really doesn't matter - I just talked to the hosting company and they are dropping Imail and will be installing email software from one of your competitors.  

Thanks for all your help.   After reading many of the other posts about Imail, I see that you are as helpful to them as you were to me.

Tripp Allen
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Administrator

Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)Forum Administrator (871 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago

I can not say when it will be fixed.  The best person to contact about that is the product manager, Kevin Gillis.  His email is kgillis@ipswitch.com.

Tripp Allen
President, Messaging Products
Ipswitch, Inc.
tallen@imailserver.com

LeeD
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (77 reputation)Supreme Being (77 reputation)Supreme Being (77 reputation)Supreme Being (77 reputation)Supreme Being (77 reputation)Supreme Being (77 reputation)Supreme Being (77 reputation)Supreme Being (77 reputation)Supreme Being (77 reputation)

As usual Smartermail already handles this.  And costs less.  I haven't bought it yet - but with each and every comparative feature that you guys can't handle the temptation grows greater.

Lee Drake

kevin r gillis
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Time Traveler

Time Traveler (148 reputation)Time Traveler (148 reputation)Time Traveler (148 reputation)Time Traveler (148 reputation)Time Traveler (148 reputation)Time Traveler (148 reputation)Time Traveler (148 reputation)Time Traveler (148 reputation)Time Traveler (148 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago

Hi All,

Good request - we are looking at adding this (html header/footers) in an upcoming release (not 2006.1 coming next month which is in feature freeze).  This is the exact type of feedback we welcome customers bringing to the Expert User Reviews.

bye for now,

kg

Kevin R Gillis
Ipswitch, Inc.
dhoffman
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Time Traveler

Time Traveler (243 reputation)Time Traveler (243 reputation)Time Traveler (243 reputation)Time Traveler (243 reputation)Time Traveler (243 reputation)Time Traveler (243 reputation)Time Traveler (243 reputation)Time Traveler (243 reputation)Time Traveler (243 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Any progress on this?

Doug Hoffman

Network and Systems Administrator

Bloomsburg University
trock
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Newbie

Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
I am having the same issue, where footers and trailers are not properly attached. Recently we upgraded all of our Imail servers due to a vulnerability with an older version of Imail (old webmail client). After the upgrade none of the webmail users had the headers and/or trailers added to emails sent out to mailing lists. After looking at the issue it appears that unless you send to the list in plain text format your trailers will not be added, this is remedied under Outlook and Gmail if plain text is selected as the format to send out as. However, when plain text is selected from Imail's webmail client the header/trailers are still not attached.

This is a glaring bug, all of our clients that use Imail webmail and lists are not pleased...